Thursday, October 6, 2011

Elephant Run

TitleElephant Run
Author:  Roland Smith
Genre:  Fiction
Summary:  Bombs drop in the night skies of London one night in the year 1941 and destroy the apartment fourteen year old Nick Freestone lives in with his mother.  Because of the bombings, Nick’s mother thought it would be safer for him to live with his father who is living on a teak plantation in Burma.  But trouble seems to follow Nick because as soon as he arrives the Japanese invade the plantation and take his father prisoner.  Nick finds himself in a load of trouble.  Will Nick be able to escape the wrath of the Japanese and find his imprisoned father and save him?

This story is told from Nick, but also from Mya, a girl Nick met at the teak plantation.
Rating: I would rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.

I gave this book five stars because I really liked the setting of this story and also the theme.  There were great points of conflict in the story, which always kept me turning the pages to see how they would be resolved.  The detailed descriptions throughout the story painted pictures in my mind as I read.
Favorite Part:  My favorite part in this story I can’t tell you because it is the climax and would give away too much about how the book ties together in the end.

Book Link:

-Humpback Whale

5 comments:

  1. I will have to add this book to my list! Mrs. Gorkow

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great book! I couldn't imagine being put into this situation, it's really sad. I do have a few questions: (1) Why didn't Nick's mom go with him?, (2) Why is the book told from Mya's point-of-view?, and (3)
    Why is the title Elephant Run?

    -Emma Greene

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a great book! I like the part where Nick and Mya attempt to escape the plantation run by the Japanese. This part of the book is very interesting and intense.
    If you like this book, then you should also read Roland Smith's "Jack's Run" series. The "Jack's Run" series have a lot of action and excitement, so they are very hard to put down.

    -Pseudonymous Sllim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this book a year ago, and I also thought that it was very good. My favorite part was also at the climax of the story. I can kind of relate to this story because I have gone through stressful times in my life. I think this was one of the Iowa Teen Awards books last year, and I think everybody should read it if they get the chance.

    Elyk Renim

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was one of my favorite books that I read last year. My favorite part of the book is also the climax because it is very exciting and revealing. Since you liked this book, I would recommend reading The Boy Who Dared. It is a very suspenseful novel that also takes place during World War 2.
    McLovin

    ReplyDelete